Thursday, June 11, 2009

Perfect Strength

"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

As our time in the NICU continues, we are starting to feel the strain of this pace. It is unavoidable that we would feel that we are burdens to those who are helping us even though we know they love us and wouldn't trade in the opportunity to walk alongside us in this time. We are also very aware of God's grace in our weakness, tiredness and dependence. I love the idea in this verse that God dwells around us, that He pitches a tent over us and that His strength is surrounding us.

I've spent that last couple of days praying as I drive to the hospital. There are many details of each day that need attention and I am trying to trust in God's care for us instead of worrying about what I am going to make for dinner or who will do this or that. God continues to provide for us-- a friend calling out of the blue to drop off a meal, another friend who will be here for the summer and is eager to help with Libby, a large extended family so invested in us. I am encouraged by the daily reminders that God's compassion is extended to us through those He prompts to extend love to us.
Will lost a gram today so he's basically the same weight as last night. His feed was increased to 40 cc today and breastfeeding was fairly successful at 12:00pm. He was also a little bit more energetic today at his 3:00pm feeding. The doctor is adamant about breastfeeding being an "enjoyable" experience for Will and me. He doesn't want it to be stressful right now so the are no qualifications for how much Will should be eating or how long he can try. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the enjoyable part of the experience but I am sure when he doesn't have so many cords and tubes around him, it will get easier.

Thank you for praying for Will: for the brightness around the triangles in his brain to disappear, for his breathing to stabilize, for his weight gain and for his medical team. He did have lots of poopy diapers today so that is an answer to prayer yesterday.

Libby slept through the night last night. It was a welcome change for us to get a full 6 or 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Andrew and I also appreciate your prayers for us. We are choosing to trust God for Will's health but there are days when the "what ifs" sneak in and steal our peace. It is a choice daily to pray about our hopes for Will and set our minds steadfastly on Him.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are wonderful! It is inspiring to read your posts! I am so grateful you are feeling the Lord's strength and peace!

Heidi Stokke said...

So glad you got some good sleep. I am also praying that you and Andrew get some 'together alone' time. Very important, even for a short period. Love you dear:)