Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New Room

Of course, on the day I don't bring one of the three cameras with me when I visited Will, he moves into his own room. He's in the part of the NICU called the TLC nursery which is the least intensive nursery. It's made up of 5 or 6 rooms for babies who are non-acute but who are going to breast often or are frequently doing kangaroo care. Because Will fits both of the those criteria, he was moved last night. There is a chair that folds out into a bed, a sink, a TV and a closet. I don't think Will needs to use those things but he might share with me!

I am really thankful for the change. Yesterday when I went to see him and he was in the nursery before this one, it was very hard to privately feed him or kangaroo him. And, he had the only male nurse on the floor. That made the breastfeeding, which is difficult enough with a little four pound baby, even more awkward. I was working through my discomfort because it's about Will and not about me but I was feeling a little frustrated. Then, he was moved. An answer to a prayer I hadn't even prayed.

Not only did Will move to the last stop on the nursery train before he comes home, but he also had his caffeine cut in half to 9mL. They hope to ween him this week. He's had one low heartrate per 24 hours so they don't want to take him off completely. He is also taking two feedings of freshly pumped breastmilk that are not fortified. The nurse said in the next week, he may even start sleeping in a crib to see if he can keep his temperature up. Big changes for him!

Will gained weight again tonight. He is 1891 grams which I think converts to 4 lbs 2 oz. He hasn't had a stool yet today which does make me pause but it also is an opportunity to pray for him and rest in God's peace.

This week he and I are working on breastfeeding. It's different with a preemie and it's more nerve-wracking which isn't great for the whole process. Please pray for Will to be able to latch, suck, swallow and breathe in the next week. Please for me to be relaxed and patient.

Thank you for continuing to pray for our family (continued care for Libby, peace in the process) and for Will's list (the brightness around the triangles in his brain to go away, his steady heartrate, his weight gain). There are days when this is a lonely process but I know we are supported by prayer and encouraged by so many people. Thank you for sharing this with us.

"The Lord will fullfill his purpose in me; your love, O Lord, endures forever-- do not abandon the works of your hands." Psalm 138:8

3 comments:

Heidi Stokke said...

All are safe in Jesus. Praying for you today Lor, with great love!

ML in Chicagoland said...

Lori,

I remember being at your HS graduation party. In your room you had color-coded file cards taped to the wall near your bed with your favorite Bible verses. That was such a poweful visual for me to the source of your strength and your desire to hide His word in your heart!

Could you do something like that in Will's new room?

Mama Faith asked me again to read your blog posts to her. We are praying for you today.

Marylois

WV: oxygobn
Baby Will's is having his oxygen go bye'n!!

CBM said...

Hey, Lori! I happened to call Katherine last week and asked about you. Little did I know the babe had already arrived! So here I am checking up on y'all. And PRAYING!! Hang in there.

Carole