Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Boss

  • Will has been gaining weight steadily and his food was increased to 33 cc (a little over an ounce). He was at 3 lbs 5 oz. on Sunday, then at 3 lbs 6 1/2 oz yesterday, and tonight he's 1 gram shy of 3 lbs 8 oz!! Only one ounce to go until he reaches his birth weight. The nurse today said that a half an ounce a day is good and even one ounce a day is okay but over that is probably just water retention. She told me that I should expect him to lose weight tonight. I totally trust her experience but I failed to mention to her (and a sweet friend reminded me) that a lot of people are specifically praying for weight gain so he probably will keep gaining. And he did! I so appreciate the little reminders of God's faithfulness to Will even in the smallest details.
  • Will's breathing is still uneven. He only had one episode of apnea from 7 am to 7 pm on Monday so they talked about taking him off the Vapotherm today. Then, last night, from 7 pm to 7 am he had 8 episodes. So, he's on Vapotherm for another few days. They keep saying, "He's the boss!" I tell them to whisper about this because I'd like to pretend that I am the boss until he's, oh, 25.
  • As I said in an early post, he's taking his pacy and sometimes around meal times he's pitching a fit. I love it! Again today, he fussed before it was time to eat so I gave him my pinky. It is so cute to feel and watch him suck at it. He could only do it for a short time but I feel like the practice is good for him.
  • Prayers for Will aren't that different than they have been. Please pray for his breathing to improve. Next week he'll be at 33 weeks gestation and if he's off the Vapotherm, he can try breastfeeding. My specific prayer is that he would be off and ready to try by next week sometime. Please continue to pray for protection from infection, for weight gain, and for the brightness around the triangles in his brain to go away.
  • Yesterday I was reading Psalm 121-- believe me, I've never had so much time to read the Bible and it's pretty amazing to be encouraged daily by verses that I've read a hundred times but that mean so much more to me during these days. Anyway, verses one and two say, "I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." How can I not believe this? It's been two weeks since Will's birth and He's taken care of so many details. One big detail He took care of was providing Andrew's sister-in-law who wanted to schedule meals, Libby-sitting, and rides for me Who really has time to take on someone else's life? We're all so busy. But she has done this so graciously and I am thankful that God answered a prayer I didn't even know how to put into words. I am thankful she's at a place in her life where none of my other friends are and is able to do this for us.

2 comments:

emilydeardeuff said...

I am so happy he is gaining weight! So many blessings to count!

Heidi Stokke said...

Sweet Lor, 'Levos oculos meo en montes', that is Latin for 'I will lift up my eyes unto the hills. That is the motto for Anna's college UNCA, very cool. Especially for a public university. And so we look unto the hills (I can't really see them from here:), to the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth, who keeps Will, and you and Andrew and Libbs, always. Praise Him for his weight gain, praise Him for every breath and we will praise Him ahead of time for the healing and strength that He will provide for Will. May He enfold you all in His strong arms today and give you grace for each step you take. To Him be all glory and honor and power, the giver of life! You are loved!