Friday, June 12, 2009

First Bath

I finally made it to rounds this morning. I was two hours early and they didn't get there until noon... which is about an hour and half behind schedule. There were no changes today for Will. He's still growing, incubating, and pooping. Good things for a baby to do. He gained weight again tonight. He's up 69 grams so he's between 4.7 and 4.8.

Warning: I can't resist adding a lot of pictures.

Around 3:00, the nurse suggested that he have a bath since he was stinky. I told her he'd never had a real bath and she was so excited to give him one. It was pretty scary that something so little was now going to be slippery and she wanted me to hold him and bathe him. I was pretty nervous and I asked her so many questions-- she probably thought Libby was never bathed as an infant. It's very different with a preemie. They are so little and floppy. Libby was 8 lbs, 4.5 oz when she was born.

Anyway, once I overcame the fear portion of the bath, I really enjoyed it. It felt normal and fun. He was so cute and the nurses were so helpful. One videotaped and took pictures while the other one stood close by and helped me. Another one just stood by the door to "ooh" and "ahh". After his bath, his nurse bundled him up and he looked like a pea pod. He was so tiny! She said we could bring in clothes for him to wear so that the transition in and out of the Isolette would be easier as he is handled more for his feedings. I wish I would have had a little sleeper to put him in because he was pretty cold after the bath but the blanket and hat helped warm him up. I am finishing washing all of his preemie clothes tonight so I can take them with me in the morning. It will be so weird to see him dressed like a baby!



We are enjoying his successes but we are still praying for the brightness around the triangles in his brain to disappear, for his breathing for become stable, for his weight gain to continue and for his doctors to care for him wisely. Thank you for your continued encouragement and prayers.

5 comments:

Kristin Presley said...

Will looks so alert in the pictures! How fun to give him a bath today, Lori! Rejoicing with you in the small steps, and still praying!!!

emilydeardeuff said...

So fun! He has such a grown up face in that last picture of him! What a fun party! I am glad you have such good nurses that are able to help you enjoy the moments!

SherHart4 said...

Lori! Just adorable! I remember the first baths with Joshua and Justin. I was so scared too! LOL It really is so very different than a "normal" size baby.....

Will - keep up the good work and you'll be home in no time!

Lots of Love!

Sheri

Heidi Stokke said...

AWESOME!

Heidi Stokke said...

Hi Lor, I think that he is really starting to look like his sister. What beautiful eyes! Thanking the Lord for each day and his improvement. Love you always.