Friday, May 29, 2009

Perfect Peace

I woke up this morning with a song/Bible verse going through my mind. "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You" (Isaiah 26:3). For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Dr. Fike (Will's doctor) came in to talk to me about his head ultrasound. The ultrasound showed no bleeding which is a huge relief and I am so thankful for all of the prayers that were answered specifically. She said they also look at other areas of the brain, one of which is in the middle of both sides of the brain and is in the shape of a triangle. These triangular areas control mobility and on Will's ultrasound there was some brightness around those areas. She said she was kicking herself for doing the ultrasound in the first place since he didn't qualify for one in the first place. Now that she did it, she is a little worried and said they'll do another ultrasound in 4-6 weeks to see if any cysts have appeared or if the brightness has gone away.

She said she was hesitant to tell me the name of what it "could" be because she didn't want me to go on the Internet and freak myself out. She did say that if a cyst develops or the brightness remains, one issue for him may be that Will slaps his feet harder when he walks than other children would. She also said if there's any questions about his mobility when he goes home, he'll qualify for OT, PT and speech therapy at home.

One milestone which will show a lot about his brain and mobility is his ability to breastfeed. That won't happen until 34 or 35 weeks but it will be a clue as to his abilities.

Please pray for our minds to remain steadfast on the Lord. Pray for Will's brightness around his triangles in his brain. Often the brightness disappears and that would be the specific request for him.

4 comments:

Heidi Stokke said...

Dear Lor, I am so glad that the Lord gave you that very verse today. We will pray concerning the brightness and that the Lord might resolve that. Interestingly, your comments about slapping feet reminded me of Ryan and Hans and their very big feet slapping in their flipflops and Birkenstocks! One day we will see little Will running around and remember these times. I can't wait to meet him. Also good that they did the ultrasound and keep an eye on it. Love you. Heidi

Joan said...

Lori, My daughter Cindy Hancock forwarded your blog to me, and I am so glad that she did. Isaiah 26:3 has been a favorite of mine for many years and has helped me through some difficult times of my own. It works! It will be my privilege to pray it for Will and your family during this unexpected turn of events at the beginning of Will's life. I will also add, of course, your hope for his continued weight gain and strength, and that the bright areas will resolve by the next ultrasound. Funny, as we get older we kind of hope for "bright" areas in our brains... but not so for wee babes I guess. I can't wait to see what the Lord is accomplishing in the lives of your family as your try to find His peace...as the world tries to take it away. I am praying for Will and I am praying for YOU.
Peace be with you, Lori. In His love, Joan Hancock

Tiffany said...

Hey Lori! Thanks for keeping your blog updated, so we can all keep up with Will! I love the picture posted yesterday, he looks so cozy! Wish I was there and could squeeze him! I have been praying for you, Will and your entire family often. It seems your on my mind a lot these days. I'm a worrier and I know you are, too. I have been having to give a lot of things to God recently and let Him "worry" about them. My devotional the other day was about details and how God cares about the details in each of our lives. It closed by asking what details do you need to give to Him today? I definitely needed to hear that and thought you might, too. I love you all and am glad to hear that baby Will is doing so good. Can't wait to experience life together with Libby, Clay, Brooke and Will. Before long, he'll be the one getting spankings at the Scott Christmas since his Uncle James finally grew up! Love you!!! Tiffany

Jason, Jenni and crew said...

I don't have words, but my heart is over-flowing. You will be on my mind and in my prayers...

Much Love,
Jenni "Reilly" Shaffer