Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mountain Dew

Will is showing off for his doctor today. During rounds he started dropping his heart rate AND his saturation levels. His oxygen saturation is usually at 95-97 out of 100 but it's been going down to 70 or 65 today. This is "normal" for preemies, especially white boys, who are considered wimpy as compared to all other races and girls. His apnea will worsen until 2 weeks of age and then he is supposed to grow out of it. Until then, they've put him on a regular dose of caffeine. He'll get some with his meal once a day. This reminds me of my own cure for an ear infection when I was 4 or 5. My great aunt asked me what I thought would make me feel better and I said, "Mountain Dew." Apparently I was a brilliant neonatologist back then.
While I've been here, he's had two episodes of this low sat-ing (sp?) and once they had to give him oxygen. Even though I know this is exactly what they expect and told me to expect, it's still not easy see.
Please pray for his oxygen saturation to increase and level out.
The doctor was very positive about every thing else and Will no longer has to sleep on the blue bili blanket. He looks so cozy and warm all snuggled in. I am thankful to know that even though I can't hold him very much today, he is being cared for and held by our loving Savior.

2 comments:

Heidi Stokke said...

Dear Lor, I am going to try to remember to check your blog daily, so that I can pray 'up to the minute.' So O2 levels up, and TYL for bringing his bili down. That is great news. And as it is very understandably difficult to watch him with his apnea, Jesus is there. The Holy Spirit helping him breathe and the Father sheltering him as sleeps. He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High God, will abide under the shadow of the Almighty. You are loved.

Kristin Presley said...

Lori, I love your blog and I love knowing how to pray for Will, Libby, Andy and you. Tell Grandma and Grandpa "HI" if Alyssa forgot to when she was there. We are praying!!!