Saturday, May 30, 2009

Chemical Element

There is a verse in Job that says, "When he has tested me I will come forth as gold." Well, today all I want to be is aluminum.

It's the first day that I've felt like my heart is breaking. This feeling is so different as a mom and I think it hurts a lot more than other heartaches.

If you think about us today, please pray for my little family-- for the ability to love each other abundantly even though we feel like zombies, for the grace to continue at the pace we're going, for the strength to accept whatever news comes our way.

Will is having an okay day. He's having more episodes of apnea which the doctors expect for another week and then he's supposed to grow out of it. His saturation levels are okay but vary at times. He's on room air which means his vapotherm isn't pumping oxygen into his lungs, it's just keeping them inflated.

He moved up to 30 cc yesterday but had about 8 cc left in his belly last night after one of his feeds. They held him for an hour and he digested it and hasn't had anything left in his belly after his feeds. He and I had some kangaroo care time this morning for about three hours during which time his pulse ox kept going down. He was pretty gassy and wiggled a lot every once in a while and when I put him in his Isotherm... I discovered why. He had a HUGE poopy diaper-- nice and yellow. I was so proud! The nurse said that could have a been most of the cause of his trouble when I was holding him.

He was so alert during his assessment and even started rooting! I washed my hands and put my pinky in his mouth-- he'd suck for a couple of times and then have to rest. It was so cute! I am praying that this continues up until he can start breastfeeding.

Please pray for Will's apnea, his heart rate and the brightness around the triangles in his brain. Also, his belly was a teeny bit bigger during that last two assessments so please pray that this is just from retaining some air from the Vapotherm and not a sign of any bowel trouble or infection.
Thank you so much for all of your help and prayers. My grandparents left this morning to go home and I will miss them being here. They were an amazing help-- playing with Libby non-stop, cooking, unloading the dishwasher, folding laundry, driving me and setting out plants in my garden. They wanted to get some flowers that were perennials and would come up every year as a celebration of Will's birth. They are so beautiful! (The flowers and my grandparents!).

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for these postings Lori. I know you have lots on your mind, and are busy being mom and wife and learning ALOT more about babies than you ever dreamed! You are being surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, holding you up in prayer. You are gold my dear.

Kathy Grubbs

Unknown said...

Lori, I just wanted you to know I'm praying for you (for rest, peace, energy, etc.). I also wanted to thank you for the verse you posted the other day "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace..." The day I read it was the day we found out that a little boy extremely dear to us may have bone cancer...that verse was so special that day. I know you posted it as it relates to your situation, but the Lord really used it in our lives for another, completely unrelated, sitation. How great is our God, right??

Unknown said...

I mean "situation" :o)

Lindsey Sommers said...

Lori,
I am praying for Will's continuous improvement and for strength for you and your entire family. Thank you for these updates as you all will be in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Lindsey Sommers

Unknown said...

Lori,
I know you don't know me, but I am an OLD friend of your parents'. I've known them both for as long as I can remember. I'm a nurse and have spent 20 plus years working in a NICU. I know you're having some "setbacks" with Will, but please know that these are all WELL within the norm for all little ones born at 30 weeks. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is for you. What I can tell you is that there is no rushing these little preemies. "Patience" is what I hear most parents of preemies say is most difficult.
One of the absolute most important things you can do for yourself and for little Will now is to spend as much time doing Kangaroo Care/skin-to-skin. It'll do wonders for the little guy, and for you and your milk supply. (let me know I can help with ANY lactation concerns).
Hang in there. You're a precious little mommy and have two beautiful little ones.
Carol Wheeler in Overland Park, KS