Sunday, August 2, 2009

Two is More Than One

It seems impossible that Will has only been home with us for a week! We've been very busy as two children more than doubles the work that needs to be done. Andrew has been home all week and I think I might be clinging to his leg tomorrow when he leaves for work since Monday will be my first day alone... all day... with two babies. How do mothers all over the world do it? I'll tell you on Monday night if I am not too exhausted to type! Will is doing a great job as the newest member of our family. It is as if he's always been here! He's a great sleeper at night waking up every threeish hours with some little squeaks to let us know he's ready to eat. We go back to the doctor for a weight check on Tuesday when Libby has her 18-month well visit but last Tuesday he'd gained two ounces since Sunday which is right on track.

Because he was born so early, Will is at increased risk for Retinopathy of Prematurity which is the leading cause of blindness is preemies. Even though he was in the hospital for 10 weeks, they forgot to do his eye exam. On Thursday, we had to go back to the NICU eye clinic so they could examine his eyes for ROP. Thank you, Lord, there was no ROP. In fact, his eyes are perfect and mature.

Libby is adjusting fairly well to the "bee-bee". As soon as she wakes up from a nap or in the morning, she says, "Bee-bee?" I don't know if she hopes he is still here or if she hopes he's gone back to the hospital but she's very sweet to him. She likes to give him hugs and kisses and tickle his feet. She also likes to point out his eyes, nose and head but we've had to tell her not to stick her finger in his eye when she's naming that body part.

A part of me feels like the time in the hospital was all a dream and although we've only been out a week, it feels like we were never there. I am thankful for the last month we spent in the hospital because we were able to work through a lot of the fears we initially had when we received Will's diagnosis. I think if he would have come home earlier, we would have been more consumed with worry than with the joy of having him in our arms at home. When people who don't know our story ask how old Will is, I feel the need to explain that he's 11 weeks old but was born 10 weeks early so really he's only a week old. I am sure I'll get over that eventually.


Now we look forward to the next couple years as we watch him develop and we learn how to ride the roller coaster we'll be on.During the last few weeks, I've learned a lot about who Jesus is. Maybe some of it I never would have understood had I not had to rely so heavily on Him for every breath some days. How is it possible that I am thankful for that time of deep darkness? I look back on it and see how the Lord was using it to draw me closer to Him, teaching me how to surrender fear on a daily basis and experience His strength and courage while walking through a valley. I could have chosen to be bitter and resentful but my mom's advice was to remember what I know is true about God and remind myself of that when overwhelmed. What do I know is true about God? He is always good, He is sovereign, He gives me strength for today. He blessed me with a wonderful husband, a beautiful, hilarious daughter and a son whose very breath is evidence of God’s faithfulness to us.

We are amazingly blessed to be surrounded physically and in prayer by a host of people who love us and are so encouraging as we continue on in this phase of life. If we haven’t said so personally, thank you for your support, interest, prayers, meals, cards, gifts, and stories of hope you’ve sent our way.

Our continued prayer is for Will to keep eating and gaining weight. As always, we pray for wisdom in raising our children and for strength for today. “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” Psalm 61:2

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love reading your posts! You are inspiring and so is Will!

Unknown said...

Your journey has been encouraging. Will is beautiful and your faith is inspiring. Hope to see you all soon.

Emily said...

P.S. My little brother that was born 3 months premature celebrates his birthday but also gets a present or two on his "would have been birthday." It is a fun tradition!

Janet said...

What a beautiful posting, Lori. We are praying God's continued help for every step of your journey!