Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sleepover

Will and I are spending the night in the penthouse… at least that’s what they call the room at the end of the hall at Children’s Hospital. He was admitted today as a precaution since he was running a fever while on a strong antibiotic. We’ll be here overnight but hope to go home in the morning following a few rounds of IV antibiotics. Most likely, he has UTI because of the stent put in place during the surgery. A kidney stone also has many bacteria that are released when the stone breaks up after surgery. With all of those foreign objects in his body, it’s reasonable to assume he’d have some trouble.

He is much happier now. It’s really painful for him to urinate but they have given him a large dose of Tylenol with codeine and it’s taking the edge off. I know many parents have had to watch their children in pain constantly, but in the last two weeks, I have seen enough to know I never want to see it again. It is hard to watch my baby hurting when I really cannot help. Nanny has been an amazing help to both of us today: taxi, extra arms, calming words, entertainment. Papa and Papa Jim brought me dinner (which was also breakfast and lunch) and are amusing Will with the Nascar race and giving me time to write this. My little boy is a mama’s boy only when he doesn’t feel good so I’m glad to have the help.

I am sad to miss the fun night we had planned to celebrate Grammy Chris’s birthday who is visiting from Alabama but we are thankful that we’re going to find out what’s causing his fever and be able to put him on the right antibiotics while his stent is in place.

Libby and Andrew were able to spend the day with Grammy and then at Aunt Sara’s. Libs has been looking forward to a tea party with Grammy using the special cups and I think they even went grocery shopping together. They’re planning a visit tonight and we’ll be so happy to see them!

Thanks for your prayers tonight. We were in the ER long enough today to count our blessings because we were one of the few non-trauma cases. We cried for the mommies who came in with their babies on stretchers. After sitting in that microcosm of sadness, I am reminded of a verse I read this week and am comforted that He knows where I am. Psalm 24:1-2 says, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it, for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters.” Once again, I am entrusting this little boy to hands much bigger than mine.

1 comment:

Maryd said...

We love you guys and will be praying for your family. Snuggle in.